Position Overview: Freedom Quest interns are missionaries to the state of Iowa! Spend the summer visiting Iowa communities with high-energy, fun events including bounce houses, carnival games, and a BBQ dinner all to reach unchurched youth with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Interns will oversee most responsibilities in planning and executing large-scale youth events. Overall, interns will grow in leadership skills and build a platform for future Freedom for Youth Centers across Iowa. (Each community is 1-2 hours outside Des Moines. Transportation is provided.)
Start/End Dates: Summer 2020 (May 27 - August 7)
Hours: Full-time or part-time positions available, 40 or 20 hours per week
Days/Times per Week: Office days: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9 am – 5 pm; Event days: Tuesday, Thursday 1 pm – 9 pm (part-time days/times would vary)
Compensation: Full-time: $100 stipend per week; Part-time: $50 stipend per week (housing available in Des Moines at no additional cost)
Number of Openings: 4
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collaborate as a team to plan and execute large-scale youth outreaches:
- Be an active participant in event set-up and tear-down.
- Take initiative to facilitate event activities and display the Gospel in an engaging way.
- Prepare for events by:
- Communicating with contacts via phone, email, and mail
- Creating plans and gathering materials for the events’ activities
- Purchasing all necessary supplies and habitually assessing inventory
- Canvassing the communities to further promote events
- Seek to develop relationships with children and families met at Freedom Quest events through games, crafts, stories, and more, all with the Gospel incorporated at the heart of the outreach and within the conversations had.
- Serve as an advocate for Freedom for Youth, sharing the organization’s vision of reaching youth across Iowa with the Gospel with families, children, and leaders in the communities.
- Work alongside Freedom for Youth staff to organize information gained in each community, such as communications and engagements with families, local businesses, churches, and volunteer contacts.
- Assist Outreach and Community Connections Coordinator in developing a plan to continue work in each community.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Agreement with Freedom for Youth’s mission, vision, and core values and statement of faith
- Proven leadership and organizational skills
- Ability to motivate and encourage others
- Attitude of flexibility and initiative within a team environment
- Passion for reaching youth with the Gospel
- Accomplish the behind-the-scenes duties involved for large-scale events, embracing the balance of attention-to-detail and big-picture goals of the Freedom Quest initiative.
- Learn effective ways to reach out to unchurched youth in towns across Iowa and develop skills in cultivating connections and relationships.
- Plan activities and coordinate logistics of large-scale outreach events. (Note: There will be two event structures to be planned for and refined throughout the summer. We will host two events in each community.)
- Work as a team to problem-solve and foster a culture of striving for improvement sustained by grace.
- Grow in personal relationship with Christ and in relationships with a community of believers who are passionate about reaching youth with the Gospel.
Submit resume, cover letter, and statement of faith (a summary of your beliefs and walk with Christ) to the Outreach and Community Connections Coordinator, April Armbrecht, at email@example.com.
Upon reviewing your application, the Outreach and Community Connections Coordinator will reach out to with to interview either in-person or over the phone. If the hiring manager decides to proceed with your application, we will conduct reference and background checks. You will be notified once this is complete and be sent either a job offer or declination.