West Cook YMCA
Job Title: Sport Coach Job Code: Nonexempt
Reports to: Healthy Living Sports Program Coordinator Revised: 10/28/2019
West Cook YMCA Sport Coaches provide instruction for West Cook YMCA sport programming. This is done with an emphasis on maintaining the quality of the program, remaining up-to-date on sport trends and education materials, and increasing the number of participants served.
1. Promote and model the YMCA’s philosophy of healthy spirit, mind, and body
2. Commit to developing character in all participants, particularly youth Create, demonstrate, and implement sports programming and skill techniques in a safe and effective manner and sequence
3. Substitute for other instructors in order to encourage overall quality programming and staff support
4. Respond to all injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures
5. Reliable communication with participants, coaches, and supervisor(s)
6. Provide support to the Health Living Director and other Executive Staff/Program Staff for special events and for other projects and duties as needed and assigned
7. Attend and contribute to all mandatory staff meetings, workshops, and in-services
8. Maintain and keep the sport programming areas and equipment organized, clean, and inviting
9. Know and enforce YMCA rules and regulations
10. Maintain and contribute to a professional and team atmosphere
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES (Leader)
Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
Quality Results: Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
Functional Expertise: Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Relationships: Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y’s work.
Developing Others: Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND REQUISITES
· Must be 18 years or older
· High School or Collegiate sport experience
· Supervisory/Leadership experience
· Knowledge of a variety of sports, including rules, game strategies, and skills
· Demonstrate ability to be highly organized and possess strong planning skills
· Willingness and ability to work a variety of shifts, including evenings and weekends
· Ability to work with a variety of age groups
· Certification in CPR/AED, First Aid, and Bloodborne Pathogens through the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross
· Certification or willingness to receive certification in Child Abuse Prevention
· Knowledge of exercise physiology, kinesiology, safe training procedures, exercise program implementation, and proper cardiovascular, resistance, free weight, and related fitness equipment that would aid in offering additional programs and services.
· Willingness to become a Heart Healthy Ambassador, Lifestyle Coach or become certified in fitness or chronic disease programming that would aid in offering additional programs and services.
· Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
· Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
· Must be able to lift and carry supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
· Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
· Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
· Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
· Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
If interested, please email Steven Thomas at email@example.com