Position & Church Summary
The Pastor/Director of Communications and Digital Discipleship is responsible to 1) develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy to promote the ministries of Bethel Church, and 2) oversee initiatives that provide discipleship content across a wide spectrum of communication channels. This will involve leading creative processes to define Bethel’s brand strategy, social media communications, video resources, blog postings, and marketing efforts. This position is critical to expand the reach of Bethel Church while simultaneously enhancing Bethel’s effectiveness to pursue our fundamental goal, which is to make disciples of Jesus Christ whose lives are all about him.
Bethel is a growing, nondenominational, evangelical church that is striving to exalt Christ through expository preaching, God-saturated worship, loving community, and gospel outreach. We are located 40 minutes south of downtown Chicago in Northwest Indiana. Our five locations average between 3,200–3,400 people each weekend across eight services (pre-COVID). Outreach Magazine has named Bethel one of the 100 largest churches (2019) and 100 fastest growing churches (2017) in America. Visit www.bethelweb.org for more information about the church.
Strategic Communications Leadership
- Provide direction and oversight to church-wide communication by creatively utilizing all relevant channels (web, social, print, email, app, podcast, radio, etc.).
- Serve as the primary leader of the Communications Department. Define the primary objectives for this department and lead the staff team in accomplishing those objectives.
- Collaborate with various ministry staff and church leaders to implement effective strategies to create engagement with target audiences who are both internal and external to Bethel Church.
- Monitor and evaluate engagement metrics for Bethel communication channels. Continually refine communication strategies to yield the best measurable results.
- Maintain awareness of cultural trends affecting churches and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication tools, channels, and strategies.
- Responsibly steward the budget of the Communications Department and lead efforts to identify spending priorities.
Brand Management & Design
- Oversee the presentation of Bethel Church through all digital and print media. Maintain a consistent voice for the church in all communications, while accommodating contextual needs for different settings/ministries.
- Lead efforts to design art and promotional branding for all major church activities and discipleship initiatives.
- Implement a style manual regarding the use of church logos, images, video resources, etc. Define policies and procedures related to the branding of Bethel to ensure consistency and excellence across all platforms.
Promotions & Marketing
- Develop and maintain promotions/marketing strategies that align with the vision and direction of Bethel Church.
- Implement systems to initiate, organize, evaluate, and prioritize promotional requests.
- Connect with ministry leaders on a regular basis to understand their ministries’ needs and wants.
- Ensure high quality and highest impact communications are created for both internal and external audiences.
Digital Discipleship Content
- Ensure optimal utilization of appropriate platforms for broadcasting weekend services (YouTube, Facebook, etc.). Oversee teams to provide online engagement for these broadcasts.
- Participate in creative sessions to identify new opportunities for dynamic discipleship content that Bethel could create for its online channels.
- Collaborate with other ministry staff to execute videos, podcasts, blogs, etc. that will serve to enrich the discipleship efforts of Bethel through online environments.
- Coordinate efforts to expand Bethel’s preaching ministry beyond the immediate church community. Leverage podcasts, YouTube, and other platforms to create engagement with audiences outside of the church.
Website & Social Media
- Lead efforts related to the creation, development, and maintenance of all websites.
- Cultivate a significant social media presence with high levels of engagement. Direct the social media team to engage audiences across traditional and new media.
- Assist Bethel staff in achieving high quality social media platforms for their respective ministries.
- Ensure that all Bethel content found online is up-to-date and accurate.
Storytelling & Image Capture
- Curate stories of ministry impact and coordinate efforts to communicate these stories in compelling ways through video, testimonies, print pieces, promotional efforts, etc.
- Recruit, equip, and schedule volunteers to provide image capture (photography and video) of various Bethel events.
- Create positive relationships with local and national media.
- Oversee efforts related to securing or responding to media attention.
General Church Duties
- Participate in all required events and activities for Bethel Church staff, such as Sunday services (including major holidays), staff meetings, prayer meetings, special events, continuing education events, training opportunities, etc.
- Other responsibilities may be added as new ministry needs arise and personal gifting develops.
The Pastor/Director of Communications and Digital Discipleship is a full-time position that is considered ministry staff of Bethel Church. He/she will have a direct reporting relationship to the Executive Pastor of Ministries.
- Minimum of three years of professional experience in full-time communications work.
- Experience working at a multi-campus church is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field.
- Deeply knowledgeable about current trends and best practices in the field of communications.
- Proven track record in growing the social media presence of a church, nonprofit, or business.
- Self-motivated and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities.
- Committed to teamwork with the leadership, staff, and congregation of Bethel Church.
- A mature Christian who possesses a strong and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Identifies closely with the mission, values, and doctrinal position of Bethel Church.
Collaborative Leadership – Works well with a large and diverse staff team. Can lead both strategic thinkers and creatives toward the accomplishment of common goals. Develops strong and healthy relationships with key leaders and volunteers.
Strategic Thinker – Able to see both the big picture and the detailed steps required to achieve specific objectives. Possesses strong analytical abilities.
Creativity – Has the ability to think in fresh, innovative, and artistic ways. Possesses a good aesthetic sense and can fairly evaluate the quality and appeal of various artistic works (graphics, layouts, video productions, etc.).
Marketing/Public Relations – Can assess and determine the most effective ways to communicate a message to a target audience. Is fluent in the best practices to utilize various platforms and channels of communication.
Administration – Strong ability to simultaneously support/manage multiple projects from beginning to end with dependability and excellence. Able to create and manage a ministry budget.
Writing – Can clearly and effectively communicate using the written word. A proficient editor who can adopt written texts for the medium being utilized.
Technology – Proficient in the utilization of various software platforms. This includes, but is not limited to, Adobe Creative Suite and a working knowledge of web design and development.