A member of the Elder team, the Pastor provides spiritual leadership to the congregation. The key responsibilities as described below will be carried out in conjunction with the Elders, Ministry Staff and Ministry Leaders to further the mission and vision of FPBC. These key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preaching, Prayer & Worship
- Church Leadership
- Pastoral Care
- Evangelism & Church Growth
- Inter-Church and Community Involvement
Preaching, Prayer & Worship
- Responsible for the faithful, regular proclamation of the Word of God, the oversight of the church’s pulpit ministry and worship planning.
- Communicate biblical truth through teaching God’s Word faithfully, according to sound doctrine and in a manner that is relevant, authentic and personally applicable.
- Communicate preaching series to ministry staff, leaders and Elders in order to coordinate their respective responsibilities.
- Supervise the administration of the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- Be a clear and articulate speaker who is easily understood by our diverse congregation.
- Listen to God and set the pace in Kingdom-focused prayer, leading the way in praying consistently and reverently.
- Provide discipleship to others in prayer at the individual, family, and group levels.
- Plan and lead the order of worship in collaboration with ministry leaders.
- In conjunction with the Elder team, establish and communicate the church’s ministry objectives.
- Constantly assess the church’s culture to ensure alignment with FPBC’s mission and vision.
- Humbly shepherd the FPBC congregation by providing spiritual and operations oversight for the Church family and its leadership.
- Work with the other Elders to oversee management of all areas of the church, including ministries, finances and facilities.
- Conduct regular meetings with the ministry staff, both individually and jointly, and work to assist and equip the ministry staff in achieving ministry objectives.
- Work with the other Elders to coordinate and execute the church strategy, set the annual budget, develop Pastor goals, and review/align on ministry objectives.
- Develop the next generation of leaders to help support and execute the church’s mission and vision.
- Carry out all duties biblically in accordance with the mission, purpose and vision of the North American Baptist Convention, with accountability to the elected Elders and NAB Regional Minister.
- Meet annually with the FPBC Elders and the NAB Upper Mississippi Regional Minister to review performance, understanding strengths and opportunities.
- Nurture the mental, spiritual and emotional health of the ministry staff and leaders.
- Exercise pastoral care of individuals, couples, families, and groups as opportunities arise.
- Provide care and counseling to church members and assist them in crisis situations.
- Officiate at special services, such as confirmations, baptisms, weddings and funerals.
Evangelism & Church Growth
- Lead the church disciple-making efforts through prayer, faithful exposition of Scripture and other equipping efforts by instilling in the congregation a biblical vision for loving and serving God and people.
- Demonstrate a lifestyle of personal discipleship and oversee its application in congregational life.
- Support and evaluate existing outreach ministries and encourage creativity in the development of new outreach ministries.
- Lead others (believers and non-believers) to Jesus Christ and His will for them.
- Equip and encourage members of the congregation to use their gifts to build the church.
- Inter-Church and Community Involvement
- Follow Jesus Christ, practicing what He preaches, while showing relational vulnerability within the church.
- Connect and build relationships with key community leaders, maintaining an awareness of what is happening outside the church.
- Collaborate with local churches and organizations committed to demonstrating Christ’s love through service.
- Be sensitive and exhibit a caring disposition in working with believers within the FPBC family of various ages, race/ethnicities, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Qualifications and Attributes
- A godly, growing disciple who demonstrates spiritual maturity and a strong commitment to Christ.
- Exhibit love and reverence for God.
- Exhibit love, kindness, and compassion for all humankind.
- Committed to prayer and the Word.
- Doctrinally compatible with the NAB’s Statement of Faith and FPBC’s core values.
- Experience that demonstrates possession of spiritual, intellectual, practical, and life-skill competencies for the pastoral care of the congregation.
- Capable of leading the church in worship and prayer.
- Demonstrate giftedness in preaching and teaching.
- Ability to function as a liaison when working with others in our local Christian community.
- Ability to interact and collaborate with other church leaders.
- Work with the church staff, the congregation and the community at-large in a positive consensus building manner.
- Ability to analyze problems and create/implement solutions in a team environment.
Education and Experience
- Licensed and holds (or in active pursuit of) a Master of Divinity/Theology.
- Demonstrated leadership ability preferred.
- Experience working with multi-ethnic congregations and/or groups considered a significant plus.
Interested applicants should forward resume and/or credentials to: